Living in a country like Malaysia is truly a blessing as we get abundance of sunlight and also abundance of rain. We’ve got no four seasons as the weather is hot and humid all year round, interspersed with tropical rain pours. Checking on the weather forecast is absolutely not a Malaysian thing as most of the time it’s never accurate, or because the weather never really bother us. Having said that, however when we’re up to planning for outdoor activities or events, we tend to pray and hope it does not rain! So, planning a picnic is definitely not a difficult thing to do here.
With the current virus outbreak, instead of going out hanging out at cafes, setting up a home picnic whether it’s in your home garden or car porch is not all bad either especially if you’ve got kids, this can be part of a home activity too to keep them entertained and have fun in the sun.
THINGS YOU’LL NEED:
- Picnic mat
- Box crate/ picnic basket
- Serving basket and/or lunch boxes
- Plates, glasses, cutleries, napkins
- Paper towels
- Trash bags
- Ice packs
- Decorative dried/ artificial flowers
- Finger food and beverage
BEVERAGE TO PREPARE:
A cold iced tea is definitely a good choice if dessert is in the list.
Apple Fruit Tea for 5 servings
- 4 black tea bags
- 1L water
- 4 tbsp honey (adjust to your liking)
- 1/2 sliced green apple
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 pack of ice cubes
HOW TO MAKE:
- Steep tea bags in 1L of room temperature water for 3 hours.
- Remove tea bags and add in honey. Stir until combined.
- Add in sliced green apple and thyme. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- Serve with/without ice cubes.
FOOD TO PREPARE:
Luncheon Meat & Egg Sandwich for 5 servings
- 12 slices bread (white/wholemeal)
- 340g luncheon meat
- 5 eggs with pinch of salt and pepper
- 20 slices cucumber
- 5 pcs sandwich wrapping paper
Finger food or light bite snacks such as sandwiches are a great option. They’re great for filling the stomachs and can be easily packed into individual portions.
HOW TO MAKE:
- Beat eggs individually in a bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper, then fry in frying pan. Slice egg into half and place aside.
- Slice luncheon meat about 3mm thick and fry until brown.
- Place bread on wrapping paper, then place the half sliced egg → cucumber → luncheon meat → cucumber → half sliced egg, and place bread on top. Wrap the sandwich and cut into half. (For the wrapping part, you can google up on “How to wrap a sandwich”)
The joy of picnic is some dessert to bring smile on people’s faces. It can be mini fruit tarts, cakes or even fruit platter.
Basque Cheesecake 8″ for up to 10 servings
- 500g cream cheese
- 120g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3g vanilla extract
- 10g corn starch
- 250g whipping cream
HOW TO MAKE:
- Prepare baking tray by covering with baking paper.
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar, and mix well.
- Add in eggs and vanilla extract, and mix well.
- Then, add in corn starch, mix well and finally pour in the whipping cream and mix well.
- Pour into baking tray.
- Bake at 200°C for 45 minutes.
- Let it cool in room temperature before placing into the refrigerator.
What are you waiting for? Plan your coming weekends by inviting a small group of friends or family members to get the picnic started! Not only human loves it but even your pet will love it just like Bubbles here 😉